Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Review of The Manga Guide to Linear Algebra


Linear algebra was one of the few classes I made a B in while I was in college and for whatever reason, I just had a very difficult time grasping some of the concepts. Since it's useful to know in my field, I figured it might come back to haunt me someday. When I saw this book, I was a bit skeptical because I have never been a fan of manga and made fun of those that liked it, despite being half Japanese. I have to say, I'm impressed with how the content is presented.
Instead of dry text with basic examples, the storyline goes to help keep the reader interested in the topic as it leaves you waiting to see what happens in the story while learning the various topics that are taught in the storyline.
If you already know a little about matrices, the first half of the book will go quickly and is a fast read. The rest will take a little bit of thought but it does a good job explaining abstract concepts.
The quality of the presentation of the material in this book have piqued my interest in the other topics in the series, something that may be useful as our own children begin to learn more about advanced math and science.

Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment