Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Review of DIY Satellite Platforms by Sandy Antunes


So, as a book reviewer, I thought this one sounded really interesting. Sandy Antunes makes a great attempt to explain how to put a micro satellite into space so you can do your own space experiments. The idea is great and very intriguing but there is one downfall that will prevent most people from really entering this hobby: cost. With a minimum $12k to start out, not including launch costs, this is a very expensive hobby that will be out of reach for many.
As a guide to explaining the basics of what is necessary to get started and what kind of conditions your satellite will need to endure, it does a nice job of giving you the basics of what to watch for. It's an interesting read that will pique the interest of anyone considering space-based experiments.

Personally, I was a bit disappointed, but not surprised, with the book because of the high cost of entry into the hobby. Having used the Arduino for lost cost projects, I thought I might be able to get into this hobby at a low cost considering the fact that the Arduino was used as part of the project. It is still very low cost comparative to other satellite systems that are launched but still much out of reach for me, which was disappointing.

Overall, the book is a nice gateway into this out of the world hobby, but it does come at a cost that I, and most others, will not be able to afford. Too bad I can't participate but then again, I don't really have time to do more than I already do!

Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment