Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Review of Make: School's Out Summer Fun Guide


Okay, so, I gave the magazine a two star review but I have a very good reason for it and it's not due to the content. The problem with this issue is that almost every image related to any of the articles is in 3D and it completely messes with your eyes. Maybe if I had 3D glasses and could view it that way, it would be better but getting through this was very difficult and almost gave me a headache. I'm sure for kids with the right glasses, it would be fun but how many people, especially parents, are going to go through this with glasses on? If I weren't all that interested in the contents, I would have completely skipped this issue just looking at the cover as that was enough to make my head hurt.
The contents were pretty good. A lot were simple projects for kids to do over the summer with their parents. It's something nice that I'm sure many people who like to make things will enjoy. It's written at a lower level to make it easier for kids to understand and that is commendable. However, I have to say it's a hard read with all the red and blue pictures throughout the book.
If you're really looking for projects and can't find them anywhere else, this is a nice resource. If you rip all the 3D images out and still have a semblance of a magazine with good instructions, this is also a nice resource. If you can't stand 3D images, avoid this like the plague.

Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment