Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Review of Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 30


I had a chance to read this at the store and it drew me in because it was the Smart Home issue. I have since received a copy through the O'Reilly Blogger program and have a great, simple reference for DIY home automation. I have been interested in trying to automate my home for a few years now and this has some interesting tidbits to help you along the way to making your home "smarter."
Unlike other dedicated books, the tutorials in this aren't quite as comprehensive but if you know what you're doing, the information in this magazine is more than enough to get you going. As usual with a lot of the Make magazines, the pictures in it are great and really make for a good magazine.
The 12,000-mile universal remote caught my attention as well as the homemade security system and smart thermostat. Those will definitely be put to good use.
None of this comes really cheap as you have to buy a lot of components to get things working but it's definitely something to get the wheels going.
All-in-all, a good magazine to get you started on a smarter home.
Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment