Saturday, August 18, 2012

My Review of Make: Arduino Bots and Gadgets by Kimmo Karvinen and Tero Karvinen


For anyone looking for a good step-by-step process of how to create any of these given projects, this is an excellent book assuming you know about programming in Arduino. It assumes you know about Arduino but if you don't know Python, don't sweat, it goes over the basics to get you going. The beginning of the book gives you a good set of requirements to know what to expect from the book as well as what the authors expect from a reader. They even tell you the best way to read the book. Then they go into a list of what you should have to be able to complete the projects in the book. The parts are listed out in each project but the first chapter tells you what you should have to help you build the projects and is a handy reference for anyone looking to do DIY work.
The projects included in the book are good for a wide variety of people. If you're only interested in one project, you might not be all that interested in getting the book but if there is more than one that you might consider putting together, it's a worthwhile investment. I was especially intrigued by the interactive painting project as it interfaced with Python and the smart home project as I had considered doing that myself before I even ran across the book.
What I find to be the best point of this book is the pictures in each chapter. I received the pdf version of the book and every picture is in full color and good quality unlike many other books I have gone through. When I went through the book, I was really taken back by the pictures and that really added to the experience of going through this book and will be handy reference in the future.
I highly recommend this book to anyone who may be interested in more than one of these projects. You may be able to find some plans or come up with your own for free but if you don't know where to start or want step-by-step directions, this is a great book to get you going.

Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment