Monday, September 24, 2012

My Review of Super Scratch Programming Adventure!

I enjoy programming and have to say sometimes, the "easier" programming languages meant for helping children learn programming are actually less intuitive for me. An example was MINDSTORMS. You can get the hang of it quite well after a while but it just was harder for me to wrap my mind around after having programmed some in C and MATLAB. Scratch programming was much better for me and I decided to check this out as I would like to teach my kids in a couple of years when they are old enough to program (they have to learn to read first!).
So, I went through this and thought it was a nice way to learn programming. I did a review of the Manga Guide to Linear Algebra and found that having a story to follow along with really helps keep things fun and is motivating for one to continue on. A typical textbook will generally put one to asleep or discourage one from continuing on so for kids, I think this is definitely a great way to learn.
The language is easy enough to learn and the programs you learn to write are great for learning the basics. There are enough examples to give you some ideas but with any programming, you'll want to do things over and over with some slight variations so you really understand what's going on.
Overall the book is nice for someone to learn with. I would recommend it.

Disclaimer: This book was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment