Sunday, September 9, 2012

My Review of Make: Technology on Your Time Volume 31

I have been a fan of this magazine and this one is also quite good. There are good things about Arduino's, which I really like to use, and other interesting projects. The cover has information about multi-rotors and that is what really interested me as I do this myself in my own time. However, I was disappointed in how some of the information was presented and some of the information was incomplete.
First, these multi-rotors should NOT be used to spy on people and that's one of the first things you read in the title of the article. Then at the end, there's talk about wireless transmission. While it's true that you'll need a HAM license for systems 1W or higher, that's only true if it's an FCC certified system. For all the systems out there used for FPV, almost NONE of them are within the license free class so you MUST have a HAM radio license to use the transmitter legally. Many don't and that doesn't mean it's okay to do. End rant about bad FPV information.
Aside from that section, I really enjoyed this issue of the magazine. It's always nice to have something that teaches people how to make things and do things on their own. You learn a lot more that way.

Disclaimer: This magazine was received as part of the O'Reilly Blogger Review Program. All comments represent my thoughts and opinions.

No comments:

Post a Comment